Thursday, May 20, 2021

Finding Bernhard aka SCA journey

 Yes here I am with yet another blog. I think I have around 5 or 6 of these things floating around. I still have an old one on Live journal that I visit from time to time. 


The idea for this one is to follow my involvement with SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) 

Here is my time line so far with SCA.

When I was a JR in high school (Gen H H Arnold now just known as Wiesbaden High School) I was introduced to SCA by my friend Tim. This was back in 1995 so the internet wasn't really a thing like it is today. I saw a fighter practice and thought it was interesting. I didn't look much more into it at the time.

Jump forward to 2005 and I am living in NY. My partner at the time was a Methodist minister and was performing a wedding. This wedding had a fantasy element to it, but it was also SCA related. People wore their garb and when the bride was presented people listed her SCA heritage. It didn't really stick with me but it was cool to be a part of. I put it again on the back burner.

Forward to around 2011 and I am living in Oklahoma. A coworker reminds me of SCA and they are a part of it. So I get interested again and start doing some more looking into it. This person introduces me to a few friends of theirs that are also involved in SCA. I went to my first even called Kings College where I was able to borrow some garb (A purple tunic to be exact) and went around exploring classes that were offered. This is where I first learned about tablet weaving. I attended another class that was for newbies that explained different parts of SCA. This event piqued my curiosity enough to have me want to do more--though I took it slowly. 

I ended up moving again, which I tend to do every 5 years or so. This time I landed back in TX. I believe that I had been put in contact with some folks in TX via my contacts in OK since this was the same kingdom. I began to work on my persona, though it was kind of hap hazard fashion. I was at first looking at doing Viking since it seemed to many people around me had that as a persona and seemed an easy way to go. Though most told me to get my feet a little more wet before choosing a persona. 

So I went to a couple more small events while in TX. I attended a few Art and Science gatherings, a couple archery practices and even set up to work with someone to make my borrowed purple tunic into a better fitting piece so I could be more comfortable in it. Then my work schedule started to get in the way so wasn't able to go to the events....and as usual I moved once again.

Now I am in CO which is a different kingdom. I had no contacts here and at first didn't even really think about SCA much. I can't recall what got me to think about SCA again--but I got back on the path and COVID came. So I worked on my persona, a device , and a badge. There are some great facebook groups that were very helpful for this. 

When I didn't know where else to turn I went to the official SCA page and they were able to get me to the right place, and in touch with the right people. As of this writing I am awaiting to hear if my name, device and badge are able to be official and registered. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Bernhard aka SCA journey

 Yes here I am with yet another blog. I think I have around 5 or 6 of these things floating around. I still have an old one on Live journal ...